The REALTORS® Confidence Index (RCI) survey gathers monthly information from REALTORS® about local real estate market conditions, characteristics of buyers and sellers, and issues affecting homeownership and real estate transactions. This report presents key results about market transactions from March 2019. View and download the full report here.
Market Conditions and Expectations
- The REALTORS® Buyer Traffic Index registered at 63 (73 in March 2018).
- The REALTORS® Seller Traffic Index registered at 46 (43 in March 2018).
- The REALTORS® Confidence Index—Six-Month Outlook Current Conditions registered at 69 for detached single-family, 57 for townhome, and 54 for condominium properties. An index above 50 indicates market conditions are expected to improve.
- Properties were typically on the market for 36 days (30 days in March 2018).
- Eighty-three percent of respondents reported that home prices remained constant or rose in March 2019 compared to levels one year ago (89 percent in March 2018).
Characteristics of Buyers and Sellers
- First-time buyers accounted for 33 percent of sales (30 percent in March 2018).
- Vacation and investment buyers comprised 18 percent of sales (16 percent in March 2018).
- Sales of distressed properties (foreclosed or sold as a short sale) accounted for 3 percent of sales (4 percent in March 2018).
- Cash sales made up 21 percent of sales (20 percent in March 2018).
- Twenty-one percent of sellers offered incentives such as providing warranty (10 percent), paying for closing costs (9 percent), and undertaking remodeling (4 percent).
Issues Affecting Buyers and Sellers
- From January 2019–March 2019, 76 percent of contracts settled on time (78 percent in January 2018–March 2018).
- Among sales that closed in March 2019, 72 percent had contract contingencies. The most common contingencies pertained to home inspection (53 percent), obtaining financing (40 percent), and getting an acceptable appraisal (39 percent).
- REALTORS® report “interest rate” and “low inventory” as the major issues affecting transactions in March 2019.
About the RCI Survey
- The RCI Survey gathers information from REALTORS® about local market conditions based on their client interactions and the characteristics of their most recent sales for the month.
- The March 2019 survey was sent to 50,000 REALTORS® who were selected from NAR’s more than 1.3 million members through simple random sampling and to 10,000 respondents in the previous three surveys who provided their email addresses.
- There were 4,146 respondents to the online survey which ran from April 1-10, 2019. The survey’s overall margin of error at the 95 percent confidence level is one percent. The margins of error for subgroups and sample proportions of below or above 50 percent are larger.
- NAR weighs the responses by a factor that aligns the sample distribution of responses to the distribution of NAR membership.
The REALTORS® Confidence Index is provided by NAR solely for use as a reference. Resale of any part of this data is prohibited without NAR’s prior written consent. For questions on this report or to purchase the RCI series, please email: [email protected]
 Thanks to Gay Cororaton, Research Economist for their data analysis and comments to the RCI Report.
 Respondents report on the most recent characteristics of their most recent sale for the month.
 An index greater than 50 means more respondents reported conditions as “strong” compared to one year ago than “weak.” An index of 50 indicates a balance of respondents
who viewed conditions as “strong” or “weak.”
 The difference in the sum of percentages to the total percentage of sellers who offered incentives is due to rounding.
Powered by WPeMatico